First, we, Mike and Melissa, want to thank you for your efforts at Yabberz. You are the voice of our blog and the quality of the experience there is very much in your hands day after day.
We are pleased with the way things have gone at Yabberz. Our community’s mission, our structure and our ongoing commitment have created an environment where civil, fact-based conversation is the norm and now we are ready for the next step.
We are making an exciting and important change that we believe will give Yabberz a larger voice and help preserve the community for the long term. The changes are
1) Yabberz will be moving onto the broader, very popular Medium
(https://medium.com) platform as a "Publication"
. Think of Medium as a huge magazine rack with individual magazines like Yabberz occupying its rungs.
2) Most members of the community, like yourself, will be writers. A few who have been pundits will now serve as editors assisting Melissa and myself will manage the page.
• Medium allows both real name and anonymous usage and features a rich posting, commenting, following, notification, and rewards system.
• We recommend a review of the core features of Medium here and here.
• There are many similarities between Medium and Yabberz - including the ability to do elegant posts, share those posts on Twitter and Facebook easily, follow a member, receive claps (instead of points), and more.
• Here is a wonderful guide to Medium. The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Medium Take the time to become familiar with it. Posting is easy to learn.
Moving from Yabberz as it is now to the new platform is easy.
• Create an account on Medium. Go to https://medium.com
and Click Getting Started. We recommend that you do this on either the Gmail or Facebook sign-in option provided on Medium.
• Then send me a note at email@example.com with your profile page link. To find your profile page link, go to your avatar on Medium. On the dropdown menu you will see an option "Profile". Click this and send me the address of the page. It will be some link like https://medium.com/@hrm19502000
(as an example your Medium name will show up after the @ symbol).
Note any member on Yabberz can directly publish on Medium without Editor approval. However to appear on the Yabberz page requires Editor approval since this is “our” publication.
Melissa, I and a few member of the community have reviewed and worked with the various features on Medium and while there are some significant differences from Yabberz as it now exists, overall we think the benefits of the larger platform, long term support, and visibility of Medium will net out as a net positive for our community.
We have a few sample posts already there that were by some of the Pundits and Mike. See them at https://medium.com/yabberz
. Take a look. And yes, once you are a Medium member you can reply to posts and start a conversation.
Thank you for your support. We look forward to many more years of thoughtful interaction.
MELISSA, MIKE, AND THE GNOME