Whereas transgender persons have been a very poorly treated and historically under-represented minority in American life
Whereas transgender are the only subgroup that does not have and never has had representation by one of their own in the halls of our Federal Congress at any level
Whereas the above has led to perpetual economic disadvantage to the transgender community at large, resulting in unacceptable rates of suicide in this community
Whereas transgender people also have disproprtionately been targeted for violent crime, including murder (often they are the victims of "overkill" - their bodies even mutilated post-mortem)
And whereas the Federal government and State governments have been derelict in their sworn and sacred duty to protect and promote the general welfare of this population
Therfore be it resolved the following:
1. Creation of the Federal District of Transylvania is established at (location to be determined)
2. The location shall be a place that is already developed, and thus fully able to sustain modern American life, infrastructure, homes, places of employment, healthcare access, etc. The size of the District shall be large enough to accommodate anticipated population and growth.
3. No person shall be forcibly displaced from where they currently live by the creation of this new Federal District, unless it can be shown they pose a danger to the new transgender population of the area...in such event, the Federal government shall compensate such persons for property loss and assist with relocation, including financial, housing, and job-placement assistance.
4. Any transgender citizen of the United States who wishes to be relocated to the newly-created District shall be provided the same assistance as described in #3 above.
5. No transgender American citizen shall be forcibly relocated to the new District if they do not wish to be relocated, but all transgender citizens shall have the option and right to relocate there, with full assistance, such as described in #3 above, to accomplish such relocation.
6. The newly-created District shall have all the rights of an autonomous State of the United States, including representation by two Senators, and an appropriate number of Representatives in the House of Representatives.
7. Any transgender citizen of the United States may choose to be Represented by the Representatives of that District, regardless of where they live, if they do not choose to live directly in the District. Such persons, upon serving notice, shall no longer be represented by, or have the right to vote for, representatives in their home District (e.g. a NC resident would no longer vote for NC Representatives/Senators, and instead vote for Senators/Representatives from the newly-created District.)
8. The Newly created District will be Represented in the manner of all other states, according to population (which shall include non-residents who have expressed desire to be represented by the newly-created District) and one of the Representative Districts shall be designated as an at-large...that one shall represent all transgender citizens who choose not to relocate, but also choose to be represented by the newly-created District.
9. The new District shall have the right to invalidate, within their own borders, any Federal law to which they object, if it is shown and deemed to discriminate against transgender persons.
10. The new District MAY NOT enact retaliatory laws to discriminate against other persons who are not transgender, who choose to remain in the newly-created District.
11. An inexhaustible fund shall be established to accomplish this, and all transgender citizens may use funds from the created fund to accomplish their desires to relocate. Transgender citizens not wishing to relocate may draw upon these funds to obtain proper identity documents in the gender and name they prefer and live in. The Federal government will accommodate these persons. Non-relocating transgender persons shall still be subject to all Federal laws as exist in their home location.
This extraordinary step is the only way to fully address the injustice that the transgender citizens of this country have suffered, and continue to suffer - and which it is incumbent upon the Federal government to address, as the general welfare of ALL citizens is the responsibility of the Federal government.
This is necessary because the Federal government and many States have been derelict in their sworn and sacred duty to protect and promote the general welfare of this segment of society.
This is in keeping with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that all persons have the right to life.