Yabberz for AndroidDownload

Killing Us With "kindness"


      So I sit this morning watching the "news" and the " news" is not the " news" but an advertisement.

      And the advertisement while not non - political is bipartisan and important.

      It is a plea for congress not to further cut aid to hospitals. So I look online and review, again, what's going on and what's going on is federal cuts to not only hospitals but also to clinics which means some will close and people especially in poor or under serviced rural areas will suffer and some will most certainly die because of lack of preventive and maintenance care.

      " Are you certain of that " suffer and die" thing?" you ask?

      " Absolutely, " I answer. " People are already dying because they have no access to a doctor and have to rely on going to the hospital which by federal law has to treat you whether you can afford to pay or not."

      " So what? " you say. " Isn't the hospital treating you ( for free yet) a good enough safety net?"

      " Not at all, " I answer. " The thing is hospitals aren't required to make any effort to cure what is making you sick ( almost certainly will kill you earlier than your natural lifespan without continued treatment) and make you suffer meantime. Hospitals are only required to stabilize you. Of course they would suggest you go to the doctor you can't go to any more because congress has stopped funding the clinic where that doctor worked and you have no where else to go."

      "Is it really that bad?" you ask.

      " No, I answer, " It's worse. It's not just that someone comes in with a spike in high blood pressure and is given enough meds to stabilize him and sent home without a doctor to follow up and treat with inexpensive meds, but instead strokes out because his cure was temporary only and in the end only gets treated again when it spikes again at the hospital and winds up at another state hospital at public expense for the rest of his life in a vegetative state because continued untreated high blood pressure caused him to stroke out and spend the rest of his life in a vegetative state ). Everything at the hospital is just about the most expensive most inefficient way possible to deliver healthcare. The reason an aspirin can cost fifty dollars is because hospitals have to charge those who can pay that much just to keep their doors open."

      "'Hospitals shouldn't do that to me. I shouldn't have to pay for those who can't pay" you interject."

      " So you want the federal law changed and those people who go to the hospital who can't pay should be placed on the sidewalk outside and left to suffer and possibly die?" I shoot back. " All you have to do is deny poor people access to hospitals ( which don't even exist anywhere near many poverty stricken rural areas) just as the leaders you've elected are planning to deny care in what clinics do exist by stopping or denying funding."

      I hear no answer to that. So I go on.

      " You think requiring people, especially young healthy people, under Obamacare to have insurance was too expensive? You think republicans have been " kind" by dropping the requirement to have insurance? But think for a moment. When they do get sick, and have dropped insurance that burdensome Obama care insurance, where do they go? The hospital- the most expensive and inefficient way to deliver healthcare imaginable."

      " But the federal government should not be involved in our healthcare in the first place because states can do better" you venture parroting a typical but largely irrelevant right wing mantra.

      "You do realize," I try to explain to a mostly deaf ear which has turned a blind eye to what I'm about to explain, " that republicans tried to hide the enormity of the cost of the deficit created by the 'kindness' of the giant tax cut some of you got by passing costs to the states instead of the federal government so they could say, ' See, the federal deficit is not that great.' So you pay the cost in state taxes instead of federal taxes. But the truth is you pay all the same and you no more " save" than they are " kind."

      " But my son is young and healthy and can't afford to pay for health insurance he doesn't need. " he responds respond repeating another republican mantra.

      It's no use arguing that Obamacare insurance was subsidized based on income so it was in truth actually affordable for everyone so I just give some examples of statistics about how many young people have catastrophic illnesses or conditions and tell him how much it would cost and ask him if he has enough money if he sold everything to pay for it and when he says he doesn't I ask, " Why then should I ( and everybody else) pay for expensive hospital care because republicans your son at their urging ' gambled' with his health."

      " The federal government shouldn't tell my son what to do with his own money" he adds stubbornly sticking to the republican mantra.

      " But all the rest of us should pay for his hospital bill ( now more than ever expensive because the republican congress is cutting subsidies many hospitals and clinics?" I ask.

      Without thinking of the irony they answer. " Of course, my son deserves to live. It is not his fault he got sick. I pay taxes but I find now I can't pay the entire cost of his care. I don't know anybody who could. I didn't realize how expensive healthcare was. He was young when he gambled and didn't buy insurance he could easily afford and I know now I also made a mistake when I went with his decision because I see now how much taking healthy people out of the insurance pool is going to raise my insurance. I love my son. He needs help because neither he nor I can pay since he decided to gamble and drop his insurance."

      I could say poor people love their sons and daughters who get sick too - but I don't - that's just plain mean even if it's true. I could say it's his son's "fault" he " gambled" by refusing to buy insurance everybody ( even healthy people many of whom have already found out the hard way) needs. But I don't because it is republicans who are at fault because they removed the mandate and not only enabled but encouraged his son to gamble ( a gamble far too many have already lost).

      I could remind him I heard heard him repeat the republican mantra that it is poor people's fault they are poor and ask why it isn't his fault he didn't insist out of an abundance of caution his apparently healthy son buy inexpensive insurance but I don't because what is the use of that?

      So I watch cable news channels and all the talk is about a memo only a few people have seen which tells how bad a few men ( maybe some women - who knows it is a secret) in the FBI might have been and I think even if someone in the FBI actually did something wrong my thought is we all know full well the FBI as a whole is a good organization.

      It is more than a kindness to say the FBI is a good organization - it is the truth. It is more than a kindness to say people who drop healthcare insurance just because they can and wind up costing all the rest of us when they lose their their bet are not evil evil - it is the truth.

      Am I killing you with kindness by distracting you from the political blame game taking up our representatives' time by reminding you that no matter what everything will be the same unless... we focus on what's important.

      And in all I've listened to on cable news in all the time I've spent typing this that which has any possible redeeming social value ( that's even worth thirty seconds of our time) is that thirty second ad reminding us what's important - people's health not their politics.

      more less

      Another Sad Goodbye


          It almost seems like yesterday that I shared the story of my Siamese cat, Rover, and her passing from our lives. But it was nine months ago. And here I am again, sharing the tale of another. Our pets are so small and yet make such a big impact on our lives, to not acknowledge their passing seems wrong to me.

          Dinky came to us a little over fourteen years ago when I still lived on Mobile Bay. We had lost another of our cats, Booger, a month before she came to us and I had been struggling with depression over his loss. I had tried to save his life, saw him begin to turn around only to die in my arms from a heart attack. I was devastated, and fell into a deep funk. When Thanksgiving Day came along, I didn't really feel like going to see my parents, though the fact that it was cold, windy and drizzly didn't help my mood. But my husband talked me into it and as I got ready he decided to take a walk along the bay. While doing so, he saw a tiny multi-colored bundle of fur on the rocks, shivering in the cold but boldly staring down the splashing waves. He called to it, and it stirred, hopping up to leap over the rocks to him. It was a small calico, and opening his jacket she immediately crawled in where it was dry and warm. Upon his return, she pulled her out and handed her to me, and holding her up to get a good look she sneezed all over my face. I was in love immediately, and named her Dinky, as she was so small (and would remain so compared to our others). She was sick with a cold, taking care of her helped fill the emptiness I felt over losing Booger, and she became my special girl.

          Though playful in her own way, she especially loved to snuggle with my senior cats, keeping them company and warm. Jack and Sasha would curl around each other in the cat bed, but somehow Dinky always managed to squeeze in with them, tight as peas (photo below). Her favorite toy was a fuzzy green ball that she liked me to put on top of a cat tree so she could climb it, 'capture' it and bring it down...all to do again..and again..and again...and again.....but otherwise she wasn't much for playing aside from occasional spurts. She was a lover, she wanted to snuggle and take care of the others. We did take in another kitten when she was about 6 months and they were friends for a while, until he grew into a 20 pound cat and she only about 8. The size difference was too much for her, and while she tolerated Ivan, play was right out.

          She had a bit of a rough start in her life, as she had a sarcoma scare when she was a little over a year old, a strange shaped lump forming where she'd had her vaccine. I spent two weeks waiting for test results, miserable with the thought that I'd given her cancer by getting her a vaccine. Thankfully it came back negative, but I never got vaccines for her again either. Being she was strictly an indoor kitty, it wasn't a problem.

          Cats came and went over the years, and she always took care of the older ones when they let her, kept them company, was amiable if not too often wanting to play. Jack and Sasha, eventually Mynx and the last few years Blink..if they didn't let her snuggle with them, she at least stayed near them so they were not alone. And so life was pretty good for Dinky. She loved a little bowl of cream first thing in the mornings, liked to sprawl across my chest purring madly or on my husbands lap, sit in warm sun rays in the dining room in the mornings and watch the squirrels on the porch.

          Then two years ago, she started vomiting. It was just occasionally at first, we thought it hairballs, but steadily it got worse and she stopped eating. An ultrasound showed she had a mass on her intestines. The vet operated and found it was an aggressive form of cancer, and though removing what she could Dinky was given only a couple of months to live. I was heartbroken, as she was only 12 years old. But my little girl proved the vet wrong, and she immediately perked up and fought, doing wonderfully for almost two years! Even the vet was astounded, and used her as an example to other owners that you just never know how cancer will go with pets. Sometimes they only last a short while (like my Rover did), sometimes a few years, like Dinky. We almost allowed ourselves to believe that maybe..just maybe..she had the cancer beat.

          Unfortunately, cancer can be insidious and persistent, and she started showing signs again this past Christmas. The vomiting has returned, getting slowly worse, and her weight has dropped significantly. She sleeps more now, and though she still wants to eat and can be coaxed to purr for me, there isn't much left to my little girl anymore. It's been heartbreaking to watch her slowly fade, though she hasn't seemed to be in pain. But she's only five pounds now, maybe less, and even though her appetite is great she has a hard time keeping it down. Her intestines have thickened, I hear a lot of rumbling in her abdomen, and the vet thinks likely the cancer has crept into her stomach.

          And so... tonight, when my husband gets home....we'll be taking her in for our final act of compassion and love. I always promised her I'd never, ever let her hurt or suffer, and I'm keeping good on that promise. My heart feels like it's breaking though, because she IS my little heart, my little angel, and it's going to feel empty in this house without her. I've been crying my eyes out, because I can't imagine her not being here, I feel guilty, I feel miserable for having to do this....and yet, I have to, because I love her.

          But god..I will miss her so, so much. She was always there when the others needed her, she was always there when I felt down or bad, when I needed a snuggle or a purr or a laugh. Little miss sassypants who was almost all sweetness but with a touch of vinegar to give her sass. I miss every girl or boy I have to let go, but I think this is going to be the hardest goodbye of all.

          more less

          A Story Of A Brave Young Lady


              'Save the Last Dance'

              Needville High School couple crowned at prom after student’s tragic fall
              Story by Amber Elliott
              Photos by Elizabeth Conley

              Published: May 19, 2017

              Tradition dictates that the prom queen and king dance together on the big night. And that's just what Needville High School's crowned couple, Katie Vacek and Kernie Baker, did on May 13 - one slow spin on the dance floor. Then Kernie detached Katie, who is paraplegic, from their conjoined harnesses and lowered his girlfriend back into her wheelchair.

              In some ways, it was a full-circle moment. Last year, as juniors, the high school sweethearts rekindled an old flame. They arrived with different dates but walked out with each other.

              Last year, Katie could walk.

              "We were in the same prom group and wound up at the same after-party," Kernie, 17, said. "We stayed up on the couch talking all night. Then we started texting, and before I knew it, we were dating again."

              The couple met in first grade, when the Bakers moved 30 miles south from Pecan Grove to Needville. The Vaceks, a founding family, are well-known around the Fort Bend County town.

              "We moved here in the '20s and never left," Katie, also 17, said. "We have really deep roots here."

              She's exactly one month older than her boyfriend and doesn't let him forget it. Both joined the high school band as freshmen - she plays flute, he prefers trumpet - though it wasn't until sophomore year that their relationship went from platonic to romantic. Things didn't end well that first time around.

              Kernie says they were different people back then. Katie thinks they were just immature.

              But life, the pair learned, can change in an instant.

              The young twosome watch a lot of Netflix. "Breaking Bad," "The Office" and "Stranger Things" are their favorite shows. Sometimes they go out to eat, and they've driven to the beach once or twice.

              Playing in the woods is another favorite pastime in Katie's family. There's a huge clearing behind her cousins' house where their parents grew up climbing in the oak trees. And that's what Katie, Kernie and her cousins were doing on Feb. 26, when Katie suddenly lost her balance.

              She fell backward and grabbed onto branches, but none of them held.

              Kernie feared the worst.

              "I saw her on the way down and how she hit the ground, folded in half," he said. "I immediately knew that she broke her back or there was something severely wrong."

              Vacek gets some help settling into her chair from her best friend, Ashton Zamarron. Photo: Elizabeth Conley, Staff / © 2017 Houston Chronicle
              Photo: Elizabeth Conley, Staff
              Vacek gets some help settling into her chair from her best friend, Ashton Zamarron.

              The 15-foot drop knocked her unconscious. She awoke on her stomach and could hardly breathe. Or feel her legs.

              "My back basically snapped in half," Katie said.

              Emergency Medical Services first responders evacuated her in the bed of a pickup. Pain medication kicked in as she was transferred to a Memorial Hermann Life Flight helicopter.

              "Everything was kind of fuzzy, but I remember how loud it was in there, and that getting to the Medical Center only took eight minutes," Katie recalled. "I asked how we got to Houston so fast and someone answered, 'Well, there's not a lot of traffic up here.' "

              Details from that day are hazy. Conversations flash in pieces, faces are blank. She remembers a man injured from a motorcycle accident lying in the hospital bed next to hers.

              Katie woke up in the Intensive Care Unit seven hours later and spent the next month-and-a-half at TIRR, the Institute for Rehabilitation and Research Memorial Hermann. Her spinal cord injury is classified as level T6. She has lost all feeling below her waist but retains full use of her arms and can "sort of tighten" her abdominal muscles.

              "She can do a modified crunch," Kernie added with pride. "She can use her upper body, which is more than they thought she would have."

              Originally, he hadn't planned on asking her to prom at all. It was assumed that they would go together.

              After Katie's accident, Kernie and a friend decided that the occasion called for a grand gesture. So they designed a poster that read, "You may need to sit down for this one, but wheel you chair a dance with me at prom?"

              "I wasn't sure how that was going to go over," he said. "It was only a month after she fell, but everyone loved it."

              He also submitted an entry into Al's Formal Wear's first-ever Promposal Contest - and won.

              "His 'promposal' was very simple, but the feeling you got from his message was very sweet and sincere," company president Carla Laudig said. "You don't always find that these days with teenagers."

              Kernie received a free tuxedo rental and $100 to spend on prom expenses such as dinner and flowers. He picked a gray suit to complement Katie's dress.

              "The look on his face when he tried it on - he just lit up," Laudig said.

              Kernie didn't stop there. He asked TIRR Memorial Hermann to create a special harness so that he and Katie could dance together on prom night.

              Wish granted.

              His date's search for the perfect gown played out like a fairy tale, too.

              "Because of the harness, I needed a two-piece dress," Katie said. "A family friend knew a lady who owns a prom-dress store, Katelyn's Krazes. She would text me pictures of dresses and then send them to the hospital for me to try on. We spent a whole day doing that in physical therapy."

              The winning look was a sage-green and light-pink cropped top with matching skirt. Kernie chose a blush bow tie and handkerchief to match.

              Around 9:45 p.m. on prom's "Night of a Thousand Lights" at the Safari Texas Ranch, Katie checked her makeup in the ladies' room while her best friend and her mother carefully removed her leg braces and strapped on the harness.

              Kernie replaced his tuxedo jacket with a mountain-climbing vest and waited patiently for his date.

              Their classmates were doing a line-dance when Katie wheeled back into the crowd. Then Kernie lifted her into his arms, and it was just the two of them, bound by Velcro, as Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" faded into white noise.

              "We had the whole dance floor to ourselves," Kernie said. "I'm pretty sure everyone in the building stopped to watch us dance. It was a special moment."

              They were crowned prom queen and king shortly after. Katie never cried, though her parents and classmates did.

              The couple left early to change before joining their classmates at an after-party, the same one that brought them back together the previous year.

              "We were reminiscing; it's where we fell in love," Kernie said. "Sure, the accident threw off plans for prom, the dancing aspect, at least. I would have loved to dance every song with her."

              Elizabeth Conley contributed to this report.

              more less

              Eckhart Tolle And Oprah.

              SuperSoul Sunday is the multi-award winning series that delivers a timely thought-provoking, eye-opening and inspiring block of programming designed to help viewers awaken to their best selves and discover a deeper connection to the world around them. Recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences with two Daytime Emmy awards, SuperSoul Sunday features all-new conversations between Oprah Winfrey and top thinkers, authors, visionaries and spiritual leaders exploring themes and issues including happiness, personal fulfillment, spirituality, conscious living and what it means to be alive in today's world.

              more less

              Christian Homeschoolers Kept Children Shackled To Beds


                  Has anyone seen this??? It's absolutely appalling!!!


                  "House of Horror: Christian homeschoolers in California kept their children “shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks.”

                  "A California couple is under arrest after police found their 13 children emaciated and “shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings” in their family home.

                  "The parents, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, are currently being held on charges of torture and child endangerment. Bail is set at $9,000,000 each.

                  "Local police were alerted to the horrific crime after one of the children managed to escape the house of horrors and contact the authorities.

                  "A press release from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department describes the horrific scene found at the home:

                  investigation revealed several children shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings

                  "The release continues:

                  but the parents were unable to immediately provide a logical reason why their children were restrained in that manner.

                  "Police officers were later “shocked” to find that seven of the 13 children were actually adults between 18 and 29 years-of-age. Due to the severe malnutrition, reports indicate the adults being held captive actually looked like children.

                  "James and Betty Turpin, the parents of David Turpin, and grandparents to the abused children, said that “God called on them” (referring to their son David and his wife Louise) to have as many children as possible."

                  Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhum...


                  more less

                  Goodbye To Daddy


                      Elise likes to post poems from time to time, so I thought I would post one that I wrote a long time ago. However, I should explain the background to it.

                      As some of you know who may have read some of my personal stories on here, my father abandoned my family, for the last time, when I was 11 years old, a few months before I was to graduate from grade school, in 1965. It was probably a good thing, as he was abusive, a gambler, and an alcoholic.

                      After he left, I saw him a few weeks later outside my school. He promised to come to my graduation but, of course, he did not. We did not see him, or hear from him again, not a card, letter or phone call, until I was 19. In fact, we thought he was dead. Then, all of a sudden, he popped up out of the blue and told us he had been living in Arizona for the past few years.

                      He came to visit us. When he left, he took two of my younger brothers with him, as they were a handful at the time. They lived with him and his girlfriend for about 6 months in Douglas, Arizona. Then, he sent them back and disappeared off the face of the earth again.

                      In 1985, after I graduated from law school, I decided to become a VISTA Volunteer. VISTA was like the Peace Corp, only you stay in the United States. I worked temp jobs in accounting while waiting to see where I would be assigned. In the meantime, I decided I wanted to find where my father was. I called my paternal grandfather, who I rarely had any contact with, and asked if he had heard from him. He and his wife said they had heard rumors that he was in a V.A. hospital somewhere. That was all I needed.

                      I wrote to the V.A.'s headquarters telling them that I was looking for my father. I gave them his full name, date of birth, and social security number. I told them he was missing, but that I had reason to believe he may be in a V.A. hospital. It took several months, but eventually, I received a letter from them letting me know that they received my letter, and it had been forwarded to my father. It also said they could not tell me where he was, that it was up to him to contact me.

                      I did get a letter from him. He was at the V.A. facility in White City, Oregon. As it turns out, I had wanted to be assigned somewhere in Oregon or Washington State. I eventually got assigned to a community service organization in Everett, Washington, so this was going to turn out perfect. I planned to stop and see him on my drive up to Everett. Unfortunately, he had a massive heart attack and was transferred to the Portland V.A. hospital a week before I left, so I was only able to spend a short amount of time with him when I drove up to Everett.

                      He was transferred back to White City after a few months, and we did stay in touch. Letters, cards, and a phone call once a year or so. I was very conflicted about the whole thing. Even though this was my father, the man was a stranger to me, plus, I had a lot of anger about my childhood and what had happened. Eventually, I decided to make a trip to White City and confront him about what had happened. I wrote him that I was coming to see him and drove down.

                      At the time, he was staying on the ward with all the section 8 people, as well as the drug addicts and alcoholics (of course). There was not a lot of development in the area back then, other then a bar that served food right down the road from the facility. He asked me to take him there to talk. We sat there for several hours and he drank one beer after another as I vented about what a terrible father he had been. I will say, he did sit there and listen. He did not make any excuses for what he had done. No, the excuses came years later when my youngest sister, who could not recall anything that happened, visited him. She was the one he lied and made excuses to. But, that is another tale.

                      Finally, when I was done, I took him back. He showed me around a bit and I said good-bye. I drove home. It took me several weeks to process the visit. I realized that my inner child had been searching a long time for the daddy I would never have, and that with the visit, I was finally able to let her go. I also realized that I needed to start to heal. My father was, after all, with all his faults, just a man. I did start the process of forgiveness after that visit, although it took many, many years for me to get all the way there.

                      At any rate, after a few weeks, I sat down and wrote this poem, which I called Goodbye to Daddy

                      I watched you walk away that day

                      so many years ago.

                      If I would ever see you again,

                      I really didn't know.

                      My desperate heart was broken,

                      I cried and cried for weeks,

                      I was just eleven-but wise-

                      I knew that life stinks.

                      So live went on

                      I accepted my fate.

                      And after awhile

                      my love turned to hate.

                      Days became years, and I grew older,

                      most memories of you forgotten.

                      I was 16, but oh so wise,

                      I knew all men were rotten.

                      Yet something in me crave the love

                      I couldn't get from you.

                      I wanted a Dad-but didn't want one,

                      knowing what I knew.

                      Well, I'm older now

                      but not so wise

                      I see the world

                      through different eyes.

                      You are in my life again,

                      Which isn't easy,

                      I won't pretend.

                      Your memories of me

                      are of a child

                      But I'm all grown up

                      I'm a woman now.

                      And I can see you as

                      you really are,

                      A man.

                      No more, no less.

                      So the search for my perfect Daddy is done.

                      And I let out a sigh.

                      As my little girl says,

                      "I love you, Daddy,"

                      As my little girl says,


                      more less

                      ‘Is Whistleblowing Worth Prison Or A Life In Exile?’: Edward Snowden Talks To Daniel Ellsberg


                          "The two most famous whistleblowers in modern history discuss Steven Spielberg’s new film, The Post, about Ellsberg’s leaking of the Pentagon Papers, the personal cost of what they did – and if they’d advise anybody to follow in their footsteps." Introduced by Ewen MacAskill


                          "Daniel Ellsberg, the US whistleblower celebrated in Steven Spielberg’s new film, The Post, was called “the most dangerous man in America” by the Nixon administration in the 70s. More than 40 years later, the man he helped inspire, Edward Snowden, was called “the terrible traitor” by Donald Trump, as he called for Snowden’s execution.

                          "The Guardian has brought the two together – the most famous whistleblower of the 20th century and the most famous of the 21st so far – to discuss leaks, press freedom and other issues raised in Spielberg’s film.

                          "Starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, The Post deals with Ellsberg’s 1971 leak of the Pentagon Papers, which revealed presidents from Truman to Nixon lying about the Vietnam war. It deals, too, with the battle of the US media, primarily the Washington Post and the New York Times, to protect press freedom.

                          "During a two-hour internet linkup between Ellsberg in Berkeley, California, Snowden in Moscow and the Guardian in London, the whistleblowers discussed the ethics, practicalities and agonised internal debate involved in whistleblowing and how The Post has a special resonance today in Trump’s America.

                          "They are worried about Trump’s assault on press freedom and express fear that journalists could be indicted for the first time in US history. And they are alarmed by the prospect of a US nuclear strike against North Korea, urging a new generation of whistleblowers to come forward from the Pentagon or White House to stop it."


                          more less

                          'A Nightmare': Family Bids Goodbye As Undocumented Father Of 2 Is Deported To Mexico


                              I, for the life of me, simply cannot understand how families can be allowed to be torn apart like this.

                              Jorge Garcia came here when he was 10 with his parents. He is now 39. What does he know about Mexico?! Probably not very much! Where is the compassion?! Why isn't he being put on the road to citizenship? I simply cannot understand this, not one little bit!


                              'A tearful scene unfolded at Detroit Metropolitan Airport on Monday morning, where Jorge Garcia, a father of two and a 30-year resident of Detroit, was deported to Mexico amid cries from his family.

                              'Garcia, 39, was brought to the U.S. by his aunt when he was 10 years old, according to his wife and Michigan United, an immigrant advocacy organization that is working with Garcia. His parents had already immigrated to the country, said Michigan United spokesperson Erik Shelley, who was at the airport this morning as Garcia bid his emotional goodbyes to his wife, Cindy Garcia, and children, ages 15 and 1

                              'For his family, the parting was devastating. Cindy Garcia told ABC News she is “very sad, very depressed, emotional.”“It’s like a nightmare,” she said.

                              'Cindy and Jorge Garcia met in Detroit and have been married for 15 years, she said. He worked in the landscaping industry and she is retired from Ford Motor Company.

                              'In 2005, they tried to “fix his paperwork,” Cindy Garcia told ABC News, but instead he ended up in deportation proceedings. Throughout the Obama administration, Jorge Garcia was able to receive multiple stays of deportation, though he had to check in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) routinely.

                              'But on Nov. 20, ICE told the couple that Jorge Garcia had to leave the U.S. He was going to be detained, but ICE allowed him to stay with his family, first through Thanksgiving and then through the holidays, Cindy Garcia said. However, he was told he had to leave the country by no later than Jan. 15 -- today.

                              '“I am a U.S. citizen and it is affecting me. We tried to do things the right way,” said Cindy Garcia. “We tried and he got sent back to a country he does not know.”'


                              more less

                              Yabberz Search

                              Topics Found



                              Load More Posts
                              Hi There,

                              Do you want to quickly add followers, meet new friends, or simply connect with existing contacts to discuss the news?

                              Do you have an email group that shares news items?

                              It's now super easy and rewarding to find and add friends on Yabberz.

                              This post has either already been PowerShared, not eligible for PowerShare or is not your post. Return Home

                                  Click to confirm you are 18 yrs of age or older and open

                                  Click to confirm you want to see post

                                  more less

                                      more less
                                      Block User
                                      This user will be blocked and not see your posts when logged in. You will also not see this user's posts when logged in. In order to later unblock this user, visit the blocked user tab found on your about me profile page. Click confirm block to complete.
                                      Last Heard: a minute ago
                                      Joined: Mar 4' 15
                                      Followers: 100
                                      Points: 100,000